The infrared method for asphalt uses modern technology to heat existing asphalt so that new material can be added to make a smooth, seamless repair. The result is a repaired area that is virtually indistinguishable, has a very long life and can be completed quickly.
• Speed. With traditional methods, a repair can span multiple days, during which time the area must be closed to traffic. Using the infrared method can reduce repair time to less than 20 minutes per repair, depending on ambient temperature.
• Quality. Cold joints, or the area where new asphalt meets existing pavement, are a major point of failure as the two areas do not bond properly. The infrared method eliminates cold joints; the new asphalt is mixed with the old to create a strong, flexible bond.
• Convenience. Old asphalt repair methods can be noisy and disruptive. With the infrared method, there are no pavement saws or trucks delivering hot mix to disturb your environment. Furthermore, infrared repairs can be made whether the asphalt plant is operating or closed for the season. Infrared repairs can also be made in temperatures that are too cold for traditional methods to be effective.
• Green. Infrared asphalt repairs are essentially “recycling in place.”
• Cost. Infrared repairs are typically less costly than traditional methods. The savings become even more significant when the longer life of the infrared repair is considered.
In general, infrared technology is used to repair or patch asphalt wherever appearance is critical or the work needs to be completed quickly. Some specific uses include:
• Repairing alligatored asphalt
• Eliminating trip hazards
• Repairing potholes
• Eliminating low spots in the pavement to prevent puddles
• Reducing high spots in the pavement
• Eliminating longitudinal seams between lanes
• Joining asphalt and concrete areas for a smooth transition
• Adjusting pavement height around manholes
• Smoothing roadways at railroad crossings
To learn more about the infrared method of patching and repairing asphalt, contact the professionals at Fahrner Asphalt Sealers. We have more than 35 years of industry experience and offer a full range of asphalt services to clients throughout Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Upper Michigan. We offer competitive rates and high-quality results. You can request a free quote online by submitting the form found on our website, or call 1-800-332-3360 to speak with one of our knowledgeable representatives.